Monday, January 12, 2009

On a Sunday...

I found myself an English speaking church! A staff of the International Programs Department at EBS attends this church, and she gave me the address of the church. It's in downtown Wiesbaden - capital of the State of Hesse where I am in (Frankfurt is surprisingly not the state capital!). Here it is, the Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury:



After service, I went on a 2.5 hour long walk around Wiesbaden (I HAD to get my 7.40 EUR bus fare worth of sight-seeing! It's free and it takes up time on a Sunday where nothing's open!). Here are the various sights:

Rometor - Fragments of a Roman stronghold from 364 - 375 AD




The Kochbrunnen (Hot Fountain) - first mentioned in 1366, where 15 springs meet. Gushes 346 litres of mineral water per minute at 66 degrees celsius!



The Kurhaus - Built between 1904 and 1907 for 6 million Goldmarks - now an exhibition and meeting venue (mini Suntec Convention Centre):



In case you thought I scammed all these off the Internet........




I super-imposed myself in! HAHA!

The Kurhaus Kolonnade - Europe's longest hall supported by pillars at 129m:



The Heissisches Staatstheater (State Theatre) - built between 1892 and 1894, for the theatrical fanatics:




This fountain that lies in the middle of the area between the Kurhaus, Kurhaus Kolonnade and Staatstheater is where I had my first fall in Germany - 都跟你说我是个很“狡猾“的人了!:





The Warmer Damm - not so warm after most part of it was frozen: a landscaped garden with a pond in the middle (check out the birds!):







And here's another me!




A Chinese sinseh in Wiesbaden???




The Lutheran Marktkirche (Market Church) - built between 1852 and 1862 as a Tothic Revival Basilica with 3 naves - the tallest building in the city (at 98m tall):




The Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall), built in 1610, the oldest building in Wiesbaden. Now, it serves as the Registry Office for births, deaths and marriages:




The new Rathaus (City Hall), built in 1951:




The Schlossplatz (Palace Square), standing between the Old and New Town Hall:




While walking along the streets to St. Bonifatiuskirche, I came along this very... interesting office...




They might want to consider changing their name from "Wall Street Institute" to somewhere else - Wall Street certainly isn't taking off now! But yes, more Germans speaking English will suit me just fine :)


St. Bonifatiuskirche - the oldest Catholic Church downtown, completed in 1864, with 2 towers 70m tall each:




We are nearing the end of the tour... Hang in there!

The Wiesbaden Museum, with the art collection focusing on the "Roman Era and Middle Ages":




And right across the street - The Rhein-Main-Hallen complex designed in 1957 for congresses, exhibitions, muscial and sports (they have a lot of these sort of places, don't they?




The Wiesbaden Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) - inaugurated in 1906 by Kaiser Wilhelm II, a picturesque train inter-change:




And from here, I boarded my bus home and concluded my tour of Wiesbaden for today. :)