Saturday, January 10, 2009

On Being 24

Yesterday, I turned 24. This is the first time I have celebrated my birthday away from home. Well, actually I cannot say that it is a birthday celebration, because technically I did not celebrate it yesterday - not a very big fan of having a birthday celebration. Back home, I usually have dinner with my family - that's about it. Age is just an indication of how long you've lived - not how useful you've been :)

It has been two weeks (well... almost) since I first set foot in Germany. It's been an interesting two weeks - I wake up to see snow outside the window everyday!



Yes - it looks like that every single day! The temperature over the last couple of days have been hovering around -10 degrees celsius, the coldest in the Rheingau region for over 30 years! All just for me, nice! Haha... I am getting the most out of this exchange :)

Here's a little tour of my school, the European Business School (Schloss Campus):

The Annex Building - Home of the Administrative staff and Lecture Hall N1:



The Schloss Building - Home of the Mensa (no, not the elitist-high IQ place, but the canteen):



The Kiep-Centre - New kid on the block, and named after the previous Chancellor:



But wait... what's that building on the far left of the Kiep-Centre??? Let's take a closer look:



It's a Chinese temple! But I have no idea what it is there for (it is not part of the EBS campus, and the gate is always locked, so I don't know what's inside...

And here is a beautiful view of the Rhein River from the EBS Campus:



Yesterday, on the final day of the 3-day Induction Program, I went on a Historic Frankfurt tour. Frankfurt is, in essence, an awkward mix of old buildings (less than 20% of the pre-World War II buildings were left standing after incessant bombing by the Allied forces) and new architecture. Here are some photographs I took during that tour:

The Town Hall:





During our walk inside the town hall, we visited the room which the King would be before walking out to address the crowd on the balcony... there are many paintings of past Kings on the wall... here they are:







And here's a painting on the Wisdom of King Solomon (1 Kings 3:16-28):



The Jewish Synagogue beside St. Bartholomew's Cathedral:



St. Bartholomew's Cathedral:











Thanks to your kind prayers back home, I have managed to find a church - Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury, in Wiesbaden, 45 minutes away from home. More updates on that after the service tomorrow.