Saturday, July 25, 2009

On Headship

Last night over drinks at this cool pub at Prinsep Street, some of the boys were discussing about why they are staying away from a relationship - as of the present moment. Someone said, "I would like to be more spiritual, i.e. get my walk firmly right with God, and be fully confident that I can be a good leader to "her" (a theoretical her) before I make my move."

Out of curiosity, a brother and I quizzed, "So what do you mean by "more spiritual"? When will you be "spiritual" enough and how would you know?"

Silence.

Then a brother shared that there was a couple which we knew who started out with the female being more "spiritual"/godly than her partner, and subsequently by God's grace with her help he became the leader in the relationship that he should be.

As I was on the way home, I sort of pondered about this over the 15 minutes I had on the feeder bus. Assuming a certain level of godliness, I think a Christian guy has to step up and take the lead in a relationship - think I recall I heard on a John Piper sermon, that it would be natural that it's ingrained in our nature. Using the example of being robbed, any decent man, who though may be scared out of his skin, would still stand in front of his woman, who has a black belt in karate/taekwondo.

I think it's true. I mean, I would. And if it happened to me I would step up as well. Not that I've been in a Christian relationship before, but previously I have always done that. Don't think there will ever be an exception to that - godliness or courage wise.

Random thoughts.