Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mission?

Cutting myself some slack on a day off meant to enable myself to shake off the lethargy that was threatening to impair my health, I decided to finish the remaining 5 chapeters of the book "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper.

I was reading the second last chapter, Chapter 9: The Majesty of Christ in Missions and Mercy - A Plea to This Generation, when I saw on Channel U the documentary "Stars for a Cause" where actress Mindee Ong went to Taiwan for 14 days as part of a traveller-volunteer programme in Taiwan. The programme was supported by a Christian organization based near Kaoshiung, serving the under-privileged aborigines in the moutain areas.

A tendency I have when I am ill, or in this case the verge of falling ill, is to look inward more and wonder if anyone would be concerned about ME or praying for ME or worrying about ME, especially from those whom I love more than others. I have prayed many times about this, ever since I came to appreciate this problem I had in me.

As I read that chapter and watched the documentary, it seemed that God was pointing me to His work in this world that has not been completed yet, telling me that I have a role to play in it rather than wallowing in self-pity at home like a baby.

I should pray about this... and praise God for turning my stiff neck to look at Him and His work instead of my pathetic whims...