Friday, October 09, 2009

Back to Basics

"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving" - Colossians 2:6-7

Last Tuesday, I heard a sermon that was preached on these two verses. It took everything that happened in the past two weeks for the lessons God wanted me to learn from these two verses to sink in entirely. Since the school term started, I have been busy with trying to balance school work with newfound ministry responsibility, to the extent that my personal quiet time was affected. Strangely, I remember Gabe sharing about this last year; that sometimes preparing for Bible Studies frequently gave an illusion that it was as good as doing quiet time.

My Christian walk began with attending Bible Studies and reading the Word of God daily on the train, coupled with listening to sermons around once a day on my iPod. Not to boast in myself, but truly it was by God's provision and grace that I managed to grow in Christ through studying His Word.

"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord... ... just as you were taught... ..." As I received Christ through studying His Word, I am reminded through the series of events that happened in the past two weeks that I should rediscover the discipline and passion for studying His Word, and to really be rooted and built up in Him through reading the Bible daily and challenging myself to live this life in a manner worthy of the Lord. While on the way to Leaders' Dinner on Wednesday, I listened to two sermons from John Piper; one an exposition on the Psalms and the other on music as a means of waging war against the devil. I think the Psalms are really good to read especially in times of perhaps emotional suffering, and songs which remind me of God's grace and sacrifice on the cross really helps remind me of my identity in Christ, and not to yield to the self-serving thoughts which the devil plants in my head from time to time.

"... ... abounding in thanksgiving... ..." I think this is one area which I need to work a lot more on personally. I need to thank God more for everything He's done for me - indeed I cannot thank Him enough for the salvation work on the cross and for saving me, nothing more than a wretched and depraved sinner. Also, I need to respond in tandem with this thanksgiving, to live a life committed to doing nothing but the will of God and to live in total submission to Christ, putting my earthly desires to death.

The beauty of it? God empowers His people to do it through His strengthening as we pray for His will to be done in our lives. There is nothing I can do by myself; but with God it's possible. Praise God!