Sunday, June 29, 2008

On SMUCF Thanksgiving Dinner

Last night, SMU CF had our thanksgiving dinner to the graduating batch of seniors. Although I've only began attending CF Bible Studies at the start of summer, it's been a great time learning from them and there's a lot of worthy friendships to be made there. Some of the seniors I know include Zai Xiang, who leads the Mark bible studies on Tuesdays, and Gwen (ZX's girlfriend), and I met more of them last night, like Evelyn (Jeremy's girlfriend), and it was a load of fun being around the CF people. So God bless those graduating seniors, and may we have more fun together during our weekly meet-ups.

It was interesting that last night, Jeremy (ex-ex-President of CF) preached on Colossians 3:1-17, and espoused on his struggle to set his mind on heavenly things instead of earthly things, at work and in personal life. And I found some of the verses to be really meaningful, so I'm going to share them:

Col 3:5-9 -
5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices

and

Col 3:12-15 -
12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

This morning will be my first ever trip to Church for service. It's quite a miraculous thing too I must say, how I got about to attend service. Two weeks ago, I told Abby that after attending CF for the past 2 months, I feel that I was ready to take the next leap of faith by attending church service. Knowing that it'd be awkward for me to attend service at Abby's church, the conversation stopped there.

Strange enough, two days later, my Primary School friend Adela dropped me an SMS out of nowhere, asking me if I would like to attend service with her. So here I am, by a stroke of... shall we say... "divine intervention"?

More on my first visit to church later. God bless everyone :)