"For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:7-8
While having dinner just now, I had an interesting realization while observing how my family shows love. It is something that I have never observed in all my years as a child - perhaps a 3rd dinner at home in a week for the first time since I was in a cast in September 2005 was the difference; and of course after being born again in Christ.
When my 4 year old nephew was being a little mischievious boy again, the same old reprimands which my sister and mother dished out to him suddenly stood out like it never did before to me in my past 24 years, "You must be a good boy and listen to Mommy, or she will not love and sayang you."
Really?
I don't think so. My parents have never not loved me despite me being a rebellious and in some ways disappointing son - all 24 years of it. Neither have they stopped loving my sisters nor my baby nephew because they retorted whenever provoked. I have never seen my sister not giving my nephew a sayang and motherly love immediately after my baby nephew frustrates the living daylight out of her.
Then why, why not tell the truth?
"What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent;or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then,who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” - Luke 11:11-13
"God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8
In Luke 11:11-13, Jesus explains that even though everyone is evil and covered with sin, a father will never not give good gifts to his children. Why? Because even an evil father loves his children! And God loves His adopted children more than any earthly father can love theirs - while we were sinners, Christ died for us to reconcile those who believe in Him to God the Father!
The love of God will not be any less because we are a rebellious people. While not as perfect, a parent's love for his/her child will (in general) not be any less despite the child being a rebellious one! Granted, in man's corrupted nature, the love for a child may manifest itself in a negative way (e.g. physical abuse) sometimes, but the intention (love) is good (no matter how fallen, we are in the image and likeness of God; albeit tainted)
Therefore, tell the truth. Teach our kids the right thing: we do not behave right so that our parents will love us - we behave right BECAUSE our parents love us! Love is not something we earn! It's something we react to! And what better way to teach them this than through the Word of God - Christ!
On the flipside, looking at the love-giver's perspective, I think a personal challenge is to also love the people we love no matter how they react to our love. As a Christian in a non-believing household, it is an extremely big struggle to continue to be loving to my folks everytime they reprimand me for going to church, or attending Bible studies. But, the least I can do is to love and honour them as a son does his parents and continue loving them until one day, by God's grace, they react to this love in the right way, a way glorifying God.
The same applies for how we love our friends and enemies, right? Love, and pray that a positive reaction that glorifies God will result.
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom