Tuesday, February 10, 2009

25 Things About Myself

Been tagged one too many time on Facebook for "Random Things About Myself", and I just read a blog entry of a friend who put hers up on her blog - sounds like a great idea. So here goes (in chronological order):

1. I once owned a yellow plastic rocking horse before I was three years old. I damaged it one fine evening while watching PSC Nite on television with my whole family. That was my only memory of my yellow rocking horse.

2. I remember the one time I peed in my hammock back at my old home in Clementi before I was three. I climbed out of my hammock and scrambled to the kitchen and told my Mom I peed in my hammock.

3. I peed in my nursery class when I was 4 years old, after I moved to Yishun. I remember asking the teacher for permission to go to the toilet and she refused me, so I peed sitting down and formed a puddle on the floor. And I went home with the pair of urine-drenched shorts.

4. I've been a fan of Myojo 香面 ever since I first discovered it in Kindergarden. I had my Mom cook it and fetch it from home on instances in Kindergarden and on my first few weeks in Primary 1. Even now on exchange I brought along 5 packets with me. Tastes best with sliced chilli added into the soup while cooking the noodles.

5. I lost my one and only popularity contest in Primary 1. My best friend in class up to that point and I, for a reason I long forgotten, decided to take opposing sides on stuffs and in the end I ended up on the wrong end of the popularity charts.

6. In Primary 1 many of my schoolmates' loved to spend their recesses playing "rolling down the stairs". They'd literally roll down a flight of steps. I have no idea why they do it, and I have never played it myself. Very strange.

7. I met my best friend in Primary School in Primary 2. Most of that class went all the way to Primary 6 with me, and we still keep in regular contact. Sad to say my best friend and I have drifted so far apart we hardly talk online at all. But at least I know he's there still. And throughout my life I've not been very good at maintaining friendships.

8. I became a librarian in Primary 5 because of a girl I liked when I was in Primary 4. I liked her all the way until Primary 6. And we're still good friends now - she's getting married this May. Great stuff. :)

9. I missed the cut-off for RI by 2 points at PSLE. I went to the school, paid S$10 for the appeal form, only to tear the form up and forfeit my chance to go there because the last section of the form asked me to "Write a short passage of 50 words stating why you would like to study in RI". I didn't like the idea of having to pay for a chance to beg for a chance, so I told my Dad "forget it, Chinese High it is". I didn't even know what Chinese High was at that point in time.

10. Attending The Chinese High School for 4 years was one of the best things that happened to me. The things I loved and hated at the beginning, I loved them all by the time I left the school. The fortnightly tests, the singing of Conduct Songs every assembly, drowning of students in "cheem Chinese values"... and the standing up on tables in Sec 4 for not doing homework or for copying... instilled a healthy work ethic that would benefit me for life. I would send my kids to Chinese High if they could make the cut in the future.

11. The Chinese High NCC changed my life forever in a different sense. When I was in Secondary 1 corporal punishments were still carried out, and it wasn't until Secondary 3 that we had the NCC21 Masterplan where boys were no longer trained to be men but trained to be spoilt. Changing parades, push-ups until our skin stuck on the tarmac floor on the roads, and encouraging one another through the toughest times in our young lives to that point forged some close friendships that I cherished to this day. And it is for this fellowship that I became a Cadet Lieutenant in JC - to keep this connection that remains dear to me till this day.

12. I made the school Debate team in Secondary 3. The highlight of my 1.5 year debating career was beating MGS, the defending champions, 2-1 in our group stages in Secondary 4. I have always loved arguing with people, and arguing intellectually on a stage proved to be a great challenge and source of adrenalin rush.

13. JC was the worst two years of my life. I attended a school that promoted individualism, encouraged last minute work, and desired to turn its students into grade machines. I hated everything there and I hated my time there. Until now I haven't really spoken to many of my classmates there.

14. National service proved to be a repeat of NCC life. As a Military Police, I was assigned to be a ceremonial guardsmen and spent most of the first half of my NS days learning to toss the Mark IV, and donning the No.1 uniform at Guard-of-Honour ceremonies. Fencing and SAFSA spared me from dedicating my entire National Service to marching and footdrills, and a voluntary medical upgrade after a torn tendon reinstated me to my Military Police vocation within 3 months of surgery.

15. I made the national fencing team in May 2003. Training under my Romanian coach, Alexandru Nilca, was hellish. His training sessions were dreadful, and harsh, and pushed every bit of energy out of us. I remember my first week at training was spent applying Yoko Yoko on my thighs time and again every water break - but I also remember that he made the team catch up to regional standards within a very short span of time. We owe him lots for his contribution to the fencing scene in Singapore. I retired from competitive fencing in June 2006.

16. SMU really suits me quite well - like Chinese High, it encourages working on a consistent basis, the only bad thing is that it consistently works me into the ground. I've seen alot, done alot, especially in my days in the SMU E.y.E Investment Interactive Club ExCo, which opened up many learning opportunities and allowed me to know exactly how hard I can push myself. I realized I am an idea man and not an action man - I work best thinking behind the frontline.

17. I started dating (including puppy love) in Primary 6. On and off I have had a few not-so-serious relationships and 2, perhaps, 3, serious ones. I think my view towards relationships matured rather early - around the age of 20 I decided that every girl I date from that point on must be geared towards marriage - or I won't date at all. Serious girls at this age are really hard to find.

18. My last relationship led me to explore Christianity, albeit ironically, after we broke up. I studied the Bible wanting to prove it is wrong, but I ended up being convinced that God does exist and Jesus Christ indeed died on the cross to grant undeserving sinners like me salvation. Ever since then I've fallen in love with studying the Bible and learning how to live life the right way by following the will of God. I hope my loved ones will to, in due time.

19. I was born in a family of 6, and the youngest one. Being the only son for the 3rd consecutive generation, and the youngest son, I was naturally, and still am I guess, a pampered son. I never really sought to be pampered, and throughout my life I have been trying to earn some respect at home. Somehow, sterling results in studies, excellent CCAs, being mature in thought at an early age, never really got me to where I want to be. I guess I will have to live with the "I am your elder so I know better - here's what you should do" problem forever. Maybe things will change after I graduate.

20. I have always had the thought that the greatest satisfaction for me this life would be to be the head of a happy and healthy family. I honestly believe from the bottom of my heart that it is the toughest challenge any man can issue to himself - it involves a lifetime of work and there will never be a knock-off time. Having said that, I really think that I can work better at being a family member right now - I really think it's a pity that the people closest to me by blood are quite far from me in reality - communication does not always result in understanding. I am not trying hard enough to be a real brother to my sisters, nor a real son to my parents, rather than just by name.

21. I came for the ISEP in Germany because I wanted to spend time away from my family, so that I can learn to really take care of myself in every aspect, and to show my parents that I've really grown up. Suffice to say in their eyes I will never be grown-up, but at least I hope that they learn to worry less and trust more, and trust me when I tell them that they should be happy with a son like me (and let me know it) because many other parents will but don't get one.

22. I am quite OCD by nature. I like things to be arranged neatly, nothing should be out of place, and nobody messes with my things. I guess wearing the army uniform for 8 years complimented this habit - when you spend week in week out trying to get 1 line on your uniform and burning all loose threads, you really can become a very meticulous person. I like to plan, plan and plan, and I even have my own Income Statement and Balance Sheet in an excel spreadsheet.

23. I don't know why at the age of 24 I feel this need to look for a girlfriend. But I know that I don't want a big age gap between my kids and I, and I also know that having a family will keep me focused on work. I know it doesn't seem to be this way for many, but for me I think it's true.

24. My best friend and I have known each other for 5 years now, and we did loads of stuffs together man - fenced on the national team, started a company, coached a club, etc.. etc... Seeing him mature over the years has been a great satisfaction, and I hope he saw the same growth in me. And I am wondering why I sound like a father instead now.

25. 25 things are really hard to find. I wrapped up most things about my life in 24, so I should change the title next time to "24 Things About Myself" instead of typing the 25th point explaining why the first 24 are enough. By the way, I am a person who loves telling spontaneous lame jokes, maybe this qualifies to be item no. 25.