Place: Oestrich-Winkel
Date: 30 December 2008
Weather: -4 Degrees Celsius
Starting Point: Bischoff Dierichs Str. 56 (Home)
Home is a spartan but cosy, tidy room which costs €320 a month in rental. Amenities nearby are: Supermarket, Bus Stations (with buses to Hallgarten and School), Post Office (inside a Laundry Shop "?!" and a Vodafone Shop where I can top up my Pre-paid SIM Card). 3 more China students will be arriving soon and will share the level, consisting of the living room and the kitchen, with me.
Time: 0930Hrs
My landlord's son, Patrick, came over to help me configure the wireless internet connection as I could not connect to the wireless network and was relying on a LAN cable. Then, he drove me to the nearby supermarket where I bought some basic groceries for the coming week - eggs, cabbage, rice, chicken, spaghetti... etc. And then he drove me to a nearby Vodafone shop to get a pre-paid SIM card.
My number in Germany is: +49 1522 55768 0649 (Don't ask me I have no idea why it's so long)
Time: 1130Hrs
I received a call from Jervis and Kelvin, 2 other SMU exchange students attending EBS with me, who are staying in Hallgarten, saying that they would be moving in in an hour's time. So, I checked out the local transport network's website DeutscheBahn to plan my first bus ride to another village! Okay, it may not be such a big deal but it was still my first foray out of my little comfort zone. I paid 1.5EUR for a 20 minute bus trip cutting through Oestrich and past EBS to Hallgarten Kindergarten where Jervis and Kelvin stayed.
We decided to take a walk down to EBS (thinking it wouldn't be far) and here are some photos we took along the way... (From Hallgarten to EBS)
Time: 1430Hrs
Then, after a 30 minute walk downhill, Kelvin and I arrived at EBS... But there was nothing to do there, so we decided to venture towards the neighbouring area. And lo and behold, we found ourselves a discount supermarket, Plus! (Why discount store is Plus and not Minus we will never know *shrug shoulders*)
After buying some drinks on discount, I wanted to take a bus at 5:20pm home. But apparently the bus service that goes 1 way does not go back the same way (unlike Singapore), so I had to walk home. By the time I got home it was about 6:00pm, and pitch dark (was quite worried I'd get mugged, but apparently it's safe).
Time: 1800Hrs
I made my first dinner in Germany! Nothing great, omelette plus my Korean Kimchi instant noodles (I was too tired from all the walking to be creative about dinner, will do that today). I didn't realize that the frying pan was not teflon... and I didn't add oil. So... I got some caked egg on the frying pan. Felt like a loser man. Had a quick dinner and then washed up. I was so tired from the day's exertion that I conked out slightly past 9:00pm and slept all the way till 5:30am.
Reflections:
It was really a challenge to give thanks to God for the dinner I had last night, because it was quite a disaster (for a first meal, too!). But, remembering Job 2:10, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?", I soon remembered that this "trouble" is really part of God's way of training me (as I have been sharing of late).
Here's a useful paragraph (Hebrews 12:5-12):
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."
7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?
8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.
9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!
10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.
11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.Therefore, I have resolved two of the following:
(i) Not to poke fun of any girls who cannot cook until I can cook proper meals myself; and
(ii) To take my culinary training seriously and learn to fully take care of myself in daily needs.
It is New Year's Eve today, and I shall spend it at home today setting my goals for the new year and Skype home. Cheers to everyone who is reading this blog entry and may the peace of God be with you.
My Journey (Click to see Full Picture)
Blue Dot (Bottom Left Corner - My Place)
Red Dot (Bottom Left Corner - Bus Stop to Hallgarten)
Red Dot (Top Right Corner - Jervis and Kelvin's place)
EBS - Bottom Right Corner